Wednesday, March 30, 2022

The Ongoing Story: A Lament ~ March 2022

This is going to be a different kind of an entry.

When I flew to Colorado to see some friends at the beginning of February, on the plane rides back and forth I read the entirety of The Scars That Have Shaped Me: How God Meets Us in Suffering. I'd had it in my Kindle library for a long time, so I don't recall where/how I found out about it.

It was a very helpful memoir of a woman who has been through a lot humanly speaking in her life, but has chosen to cling to God through it all. But this highlighted passage in chapter 7 really made me stop and think:


It was at that point that I decided March's post here in my story would be a lament. And yesterday as I was walking to my church thinking about a couple things, I was literally stopped in my tracks by a realization about what specifically I needed to lament the most. 

As I write this post, the fourth anniversary of my decision to resign from New Hope Uganda was earlier this week. In glancing back at that post I wrote a year ago today, it's amazing the difference in my outlook and perspective!! But we'll get to that :)

So here goes a different sort of post: a lament. {There are certainly some lines of paraphrased Scripture included, I'm just choosing not to clutter this with citations.}

He Is There

Where were You, oh Lord,
When sleep escaped my eyes
When I felt lost in a desert of doubt
When the enemy berated me?
Where were You?

"Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him,"
I commanded my soul,
and yet the darkness persisted.

And then ...
It all comes to an end.
My home.
My adult life.
My ministry.
My identity.
In two weeks I was gone,
Leaving the people and place and work that I loved so deeply.

The sorrow didn't end there.
For nine months it frequently engulfed me.
For a year and a half I drifted here and there,
failing to put down true roots.
I questioned my ability to ever hold a steady job again.

BUT GOD.

Lord, You did NOT abandon me in my distress;
You are near to the brokenhearted.
And even when I couldn't see Your hand,
Now I can see the slow unfolding of Your patient and gentle work.

But in those months,
Yes - even in those first 3.5 years.
Oh Lord, I confess ...
That I was hurting deep inside,
That I clung to that hurt as something I deserved.
That so very often I was angry;
Angry at Your plan,
Angry at You.

Forgive, oh Lord!
I pray that You will not judge my life by that season,
As I so often do myself.
Bitterness, regret ...
These were my near-constant companions.

BUT GOD.

In Your mercy,
In Your grace;
In Your perfect timing,
You began to bring me out
of the miry clay,
To set my feet again on the rock.
Yes, I still slip off,
Yet You patiently reach out Your arm again,
And Your Spirit within me reaches
Grasping at Your strong and mighty arm.

I praise You, Oh Lord my God.
Praise be to the God of gods!
You redeem the years that Your locusts had eaten;

I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
All Your works are marvelous,
and that my soul knows full well.

I believe I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for God;
Be strong and let my heart take courage;
And wait for the Lord.

Open my eyes in faith,
Oh Father, I pray.
Teach me to humbly surrender,
To lean into you when I don't understand.

You work all things together for good,
to those whom You have called
and who love You.

Rejoice in God, oh my soul!




Written March 24, 2022

P.S. After I wrote this, one of our prayer time leaders at work focused a Worship session on the idea of Lament. He included a couple songs that I found really meaningful as well - so this shall be a four-song post!








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Ongoing Story: Decisions ~ Aug. 2022

 Wow, it's been almost four months since I wrote on here!! Praise God, they have been four pretty level-headed months. I've been sle...